Most of us have quite a love/hate relationship with the stuff. And it’s certainly a huge topic when it comes to missions.
We recognize and completely understand that MONEY is the #1 concern for students who want to serve on a mission team. Yes, it’s pretty frightening to see a trip with the pricetag of $3200 and it’s also very normal to immediately think “that’s impossible, there’s no way I can pay or raise that much money!” If you’ve had that fear, you’re not alone!
But the great thing is that God’s economy is very different than ours. He is actively and passionately pursuing His Global Plan of redeeming people from the ends of the earth, so first know that THIS is the very thing He is ALL ABOUT. And He doesn’t call people (“go and make disciples…”) and not also equip them with everything they need for that task… (“I am with you always…”)
We have some pretty amazing stories of God’s provision for last year’s WorldSERVE team members, but first a few fun facts:
1. We didn’t have to ask anyone to step down from a team because they couldn’t raise enough funds (a few students did choose to step off of their team very early on because they didn’t feel they could raise the money). Everyone who spent time fundraising through the semester was covered.
2. Five of the 12 teams OVER-fundraised and we were able to use that money to help other teams and team members meet their goals.
3. At the end of the summer, there was still a surplus of funds we are able to use towards this year’s teams.
Now some stories:
1. An MK who was concerned that, since his parents raise support to be full-time missionaries, he wouldn’t get many donations from friends and family was FULLY funded (over $3000) within 3 weeks.
2. A team leader who almost quit twice because the funds weren’t coming in decided to sacrifice $200 of his birthday money towards his trip and soon after received several surprising donations and was completely covered.
3. An international student who seemed to have very few people she could send support letters to was struggling to meet each deadline, but at what seemed like the very last minute several times, she would recieve an anonymous donation for the exact amount she still needed.
4. One team’s yard sale raised over $1900… and only needed to be split between 3 people because the rest were already funded. A yard sale!?! Nuff said.
5. We had to tell one team to STOP fundraising because they were already 100% covered with plenty to share!
And that’s just scratching the surface! You better believe that each of these students grew tremendously in their trust of God as they saw Him work in powerful ways which they might not have experienced otherwise. Were they still anxious at times? For sure. Did they have to put a lot of work into their fundraising? Yep. Was it worth it? Definitely… but you should ask one of them
We’ve all read Jesus’ words, ”where your treasure is, there your heart will be also.” But perhaps we could also flip it and say, “where your heart is, there your treasure will be also.” So, if you want your HEART to be with the lost, the hurting, and those who live in darkness, then that’s where your TREASURE will go.
Jesus never said that following Him wouldn’t cost us something; it cost Him everything. But He did say that we can trust Him, that He is with us, and that He is faithful. “So don’t worry about these things… your heavenly Father already knows all your needs. Seek the kingdom of God above all else, and live righteously, and he will give you everything you need.” (Matthew 6: 31-33)
If you have any money related concerns or other questions, please don’t hesitate to contact us at 530.226.4504 or firstname.lastname@example.org